WHY BECOME A PEER SUPPORTER?
There are lots of benefits of becoming a breastfeeding peer supporter. Through training, and working, supporters gain a range of personal and professional skills including:
- Gaining work experience
- Keeping up-to-date references
- Improving listening and communication skills
- Increasing breastfeeding knowledge
- Developing support skills
- Making new friends
- Helping to make breastfeeding more normal in Spelthorne
WHO CAN BE A BREASTFEEDING PEER SUPPORTER?
To be a breastfeeding peer supporter you must be:
- A mum who has breastfed (or is breastfeeding) and who has a positive attitude to breastfeeding.
- Willing to undertake the peer support training course.
- Prepared to become a peer supporter, which is a voluntary role, for at least 12 months after completing the training course.
- Willing to have a DBS (Criminal Record) check done, in line with all staff and volunteers who work with or have access to children and babies in any setting.
- Willing to undertake safeguarding training.
- Willing to attend regular peer support reflective and update sessions.
DESIRABLE QUALITIES OF A PEER SUPPORTER
- To be enthusiastic about breastfeeding and breastfeeding support.
- To have a good sense of humour.
- To be caring and have a non-judgmental attitude to other people.
- To be able to work well as part of a team.
- To be a good communicator.
- To be tolerant and understanding towards people from different social, religious, ethical and cultural backgrounds.
HOW TO BECOME A PEER SUPPORTER?
Spelthorne peer supporters attend a 30 hour training course. This training covers breastfeeding knowledge, communication skills, listening skills and much more. Once trained, peer supporters can volunteer their time around their own schedules. We are now recruiting volunteers to start working at Ashford and St Peter’s hospital supporting new mothers to breastfeed. If you want to find out more about becoming a peer supporter or when the next course will be email us or send us a message below.
Or you can follow this link to find out more and fill in an application form: https://padlet.com/spelthornebff/odnaa3o5fk63
Send Us a Message
Copyright Spelthorne Breastfeeding Friends 2019 – All rights reserved